Tuesday, April 14, 2009

What's in a name?

I'm going to change the name of my blog to Malfi's Meme-o-pad!!

Not really, but I saw this fun Meme by Ysharros over at Stylish Corpse and decided I wanted to do it too. Feel free to post it on your own site if you like. No obligations with this one.

1. What is your current main character’s name (or names, if you play multiple games)? Explain how you chose the name.

Current main character? Well... Let's see:

EQ2 - Malfi Autumnmist (Antonia Bayle) - Wood Elf Conjuror who is a compilation of the names of the two characters I first started playing back in EQ on the Rodcet Nife server way back when (see below).
LotRO - Malfirio (Windfola) - Man Hunter. Extension of my "primary" game name.
W101 - Morgrim HexMender - Myth Wizard exploring the world of Krokotopia. (No variation of Malfi)

The not so current:
WoW - Malfi (Proudmoore) - Undead Warlock and proud owner of a Fell Stead, a ridiculous imp, and a succubus who doesn't quite get it...
SWG - Malfi Iqu (Tarquinas) - Twi'Lek Grand Master Entertainer/Image Designer. Proprietor of Iqu's Hairdo's & Body Styling and the Pauze8 Saloon. (Well, former proprietor, since they are now packed up and on my pleasure barge, orbiting Tattooine).
MxO - Malfi (Syntax) - Are you sensing a pattern here?
V:SoH - Malfi (Um.... Wherever the League ended up) - Poncy druid of some sort I think.
CoH - Nyte Ember (Freedom? I think) - A Fire/Fire Blaster who has shadow abilities
CoV - Ahbra Kadaver (Freedom?) - Zombie/Dark Mastermind. LOVE this name and character build
FFXI - Malfi (No clue) - I think he was a Taru? Or maybe the human looking one? Don't remember, I didn't play very long.

2. What was the name of your very first character in an MMO? Explain how you chose that name.

I don't know where I pulled it out of, but I decided to call my very first character - Malfizorous, the half elf rogue of Qeynos (Rodcet Nife server) in EQ1. Yeah!! At level 20 I added in "Shadowslipper" as his surname. I may or may not have been reading through Lord of the Rings again when I named him. I guess "Z"s sounded more fantasy oriented to me? Malfizorous degraded (pretty quickly) to Malfi in guild chat, which is where my current crop of names comes from. Five characters are MUCH easier to type than the ten I started out with. After 55 levels (old school EQ levels) I picked up a high elf mage by the name of Xhar Autumnmist from a friend who swapped over to playing his bard. So that's where my current EQ2 character's name comes from - Malfi Autumnmist. An homage to the two of them.

3. Have you kept a specific name through various games, or do you tend to change your naming habits based on the individual game?

Depending on the world I do try for some variation of the name Malfi that fits in with the game culture. Barring that, Mattexl, an old, old, OLD Bulletin Board name, will do. For example, my Hunter on Landroval in LotRO is named "Texl". My tertiary name is Ashtarel (My secondary in SWG and the name of my Ratomancer in EQ2) as I like the sound of that name too.

For my alt army, however, all bets are off. There is no similarity between any of my other 23 alts in EQ2. I've always envied those people who manage to pull together names for all their alts that are recognizeable as being the same person - ending them in "gar" or starting each with "Vesp" or some such. But not me. My current EQ2 alt army includes Traigo Leafskimmer (Elf Ranger), Giagundous (Troll Berzerker), Purdi Durnuglee (Ogre Bard), Krylek (Arasai Wizard), Trincket Gnimbledigits (Gnome Warlock) and Poemia (Erudite Illusionist).

4. Do you ever reserve names, planning to use them for characters that you might play later? If so, what are they and why do you hold on to them?

No, I haven't ever reserved names. I always try for Malfi right away and if I can get that I'm pretty happy.

5. Of the three common archetypes in MMOs — tank, healer, DPS — which is your current main character?

My current mains are, all of them, DPS of one sort or another. Typically ranged, and usually with something I control between me and the bad guys.

6. What archetype was your very first character in an MMO? Why did you choose it?

Rogue was my first foray into MMOs. Unlike other people, I didn't swap around. I built the rogue and ran with it, right out the gate. I don't think I discovered the joys of altaholism until I was well into the 30s. Why did I choose the Rogue? Probably sneak hide, as I like to explore and I figured that combo set would let me get through the most places if I really wanted to. Oh! And I like staring at butts. I have a screen shot gallery somewhere of all the Norrathian butt I've stared at over the years, as that is just about all you would see as a rogue back then. Just get behind it and backstab to your heart's content. If you don't see a butt in front of you, you're doing something wrong!

7. Are you usually attracted to one archetype over another, or do you play them equally? Why?

Pets! PETS! PETS!!!! I loves the pets! Oh how I loves my minions! I'm hooked on pet classes and really enjoy playing them. I started with the Rogue but once I had a taste of mage goodness with Xhar, I've tried to find pet classes in every game I've played. I love the versatility, soloability (usually) and the fact that I have a custom made speedbump/meatshield right there whenever I need it. I was in HEAVEN when they added Masterminds to CoV. Too bad there isn't a Hero side equivalent.

In general, though, I prefer DPS classes. I don't like the responsibility of a healer, as I have ADHD to the extreme and have a tendency to wander away from the computer when things slow down and I'm bored - hence why I mostly solo. I'm much too pretty and WAAAY to intelligent to be a tank. (J/K to all the meat shields out there!)

8. What is your favorite feature from an MMO you no longer play?

What about a favorite feature of an MMO that I DO play, but it has been taken out? My most missed feature from EQ2 is the original crafting system! Complain all you want, I loved the complexity and interdependency of it. It wasn't the dump things in a hopper and press a button to get a "CLOAK OF AMAZING AMAZINGNESS" ten seconds later. Subcombines, usually made by another class, that required thought to gather items up for and coordination to make sure you could get to the point you wanted to get to. It spoke to OCD me (Who manages to beat ADHD me into submission when I've got something to REALLY focus on) and was one of the things I enjoyed most in the game.

9. Is there an MMO that you would play if it was free? Which and why?

I'll try any free MMO, just to check it out. Why not? I'm not losing any cash over it. And you can find some real gems. Wizard 101 is an EXCELLENT example, that I have subsequently dumped a bunch of cash into with my crown purchases. I've also got Dream of Mirror Online, Runes of Magic, and Mount & Blade on my computer waiting to play some more. The best thing about them? I don't flog myself for NOT playing, as I'm not spending any money on any of them.

10. How do you measure the success of a character in an MMO (total kills, titles accumulated, wealth, rare items collected, level reached, etc.)?

I agree with Ysh on this one. Fun! If I'm having fun playing the character, then it is a successful character. If I'm not having fun, and spending hours and hours doing it, then I really need to step back and reevaluate what I'm doing and why.

No comments: